Posts Tagged AVL
Who is Bill Compton? Who is this vampire who suddenly appeared at Merlotte’s and “just-so-happened” to spot our telepathic heroine Sookie?
All but the most casual of Eric Northman fans are fluent in the knowledge that Bill most likely had an agenda before he arrived in Bon Temps that probably included “procuring” Sookie for Queen Sophie-Ann or someone else but most likely QSA. If you need information concerning this, Sunnynala @ sunnynala.wordpress.com goes into plenty of details concerning this and Bill Compton’s murderous history so I will make this history brief but explanatory.
1. Bill Compton went on a murderous and sadistic rampage with his maker Lorena (that he certainly looked like he enjoyed despite what he might say to her or to us, the audience)…presumably from 1865-1935 (70 years!) The Blu Ray Commentary confirms the murders in Chicago were a common habit.
2. Bill probably hung out with Liam, Diane, Malcolm off and on since the late 30’s (1×03) till they burned in the fire (1×08).
3. Bill told Russell he “procured” for QSA for the last 35 years (maybe he started doing this between 1973-1975 until present) (which seems to imply he was still currently doing that, probably to Sookie, which we already know). Somehow, Russell thinks that means go kidnap people to my/your employer’s specifications (which was QSA). Coincidence? I think not.
Now for the wild theory about the AVL/Authority connection:
Could Bill working for the American Vampire League (which I have established in a facade/interest group for The Authority) or The Authority itself?
Shock and Anger and Thoughtfulness overwhelms Bill’s face after Russell questions the magister’s authority (tight facial muscles, lowered chin, staring, slanted eyebrows)
Why would Bill care about a magister who had him make an unwanted vampire child? Maybe because he works for the people that hired him (the authority or the facade of the authority..the AVL…just a thought…Maybe he started “mainstreaming” on the surface for more reasons than just to protect Sooke? Again, just a wild idea.
Eric seemed skeptical about this “mainstreaming” though, not only once but twice. Maybe because Eric not only knew that Bill was still killing but maybe because he knew Bill had views about vampire superiority (kinda like the The Authority and the AVL really do, according to my theory about the AVL and The Authority).
Eric Northman: “If you’re their poster boy, the mainstreaming movement is in deep trouble…”
Eric Northman: “Mainstreaming. I heard…”
(humor and skepticism is written all over Eric’s face both times: he smiles!)
All of this could just mean that Bill is a huge hypocrite, which we already knew. So how do I tie this into season 3 other than Bill’s odd facial expression that I already pointed out?
***FINALE SPOILER PIC BELOW***
If you look closely you can see Eric is in handcuffs and Bill is not.
Clearly Eric is being punished for some reason if he is wearing handcuffs, particularly ones that look to be silver. The only people who would be out to punish him would be the people who know about his involvement in the magister’s disappearance (which we know is coming). QSA would not openly punish him even though he joined with Russell because she is marrying the King and so those kingdoms/queendoms will unite and they are currently betrothed). Why would Bill be helping to carry out the punishment unless he was working for those that were punishing Eric, not just Queen Sophie Ann? Bill might end up betraying the people he works for to help Eric (or really Sookie) but the fact remains he was trusted to carry out the punishment and/or arrest Eric.
Therefore, it is very likely that Bill Compton is working for The Authority/AVL too if he is carrying out this punishment.
Clearly Bill is ambitious and his ambition might extend past “procuring” people for monarchs. How much higher could you get than working with the agenda of “The Authority” or its facade, the AVL? It beats running a cactus plantation for sure.
Also, Maybe Bill is so confident about himself despite seemingly having no reason to on the surface because of this (not just because he is impulsive and not all that bright).
At the very least, Bill has also heard about how Eric and Russell were discussing the magister’s irrelevance and could provide his testimony in a possible trial or investigation …and if we really want to get crazy…(maybe he was specifically chosen to scout out the queen and Eric because of his relationship with both of them or maybe he went back to LA to investigate both of them or one of them in the first place, however he had to do work for one or both of them in order to gain the trust needed to gain access to the queen’s secrets and/or Eric’s secrets)
(Then again, this just could be fan fiction and totally wrong. But it seemed like an interesting idea..haha)
“Do you question my authority? I am the magister. I was trained in the Inquisition and I am the adjudicator for every vampire territory in North America! As the humans say, the humans you love more than your own kind, back your shit down!” ―The Magister (Magnus) to Bill Compton (1×10) (True Blood Wiki).
Steve Newlin: “Did you know that there was actually a vampire pope back in the Middle Ages? (2×06)”
Russell on The Magister, to Eric: “…the only power he has is the power we give him.” (3×05 “Trouble”)
Before we get to the meaning of those statements, let us establish that the Magister represents the Catholic Church and the former power that it wielded and the political influence that it also once had.
Does it seem a little odd to you that a vampire would use religious dogma and terms such as blasphemy to describe laws broken by vampires (that he is supposes to carry out the “justice” for)?
The Magister was referred to as an “inquisitor.” “[he] has been itching for another inquisition for centuries.” Obviously the magister was an inquisitor during the SPANISH INQUISTION if he was an inquistor during the middle ages. In order to be an inquisitor he must have been part of the catholic priesthood. Therefore, I propose that the Magister may have been this infamous Pope (Innocent VIII) rumored to feed on young boys to improve his health in True Blood mythology (though this is a complete guess and I could be wrong):
NOW getting to the more important side of my theory below:
It is briefly mentioned in the “True Blood: Mythological Creatures: Vampires” special as well as in a “Post-Mortem” special that the Magister is under the jurisdiction of “The Authority (True Blood Wiki)” “The Authority is briefly mentioned as the highest ranking figure of of all vampires. The Authority is said to give vampire monarchs their power and is even in a higher position of power than Magnus, the Magister of North American Territories. It is unknown exactly how far the jurisdiction of The Authority extends and who its members are (True Blood Wiki).“
Remember when Nan Flaningan (the AVL spokesperson), suggested to Eric that she could have his authority as a Sheriff automatically stripped and was able to take the paperwork for Godric’s resignation (2×09)? Eric questioned her authority and she responded with “try me, I am on tv,” but I think there is more to her power than that.
Maybe Nan Flannigan is The Authority or is directly working for The Authority. Why would I think that other than the fact that she seemed to be so confident about her power and had the ability to demand resignations despite the fact that she is not the king/queen of Texas?
Because she represents the American Vampire League! Do you honestly think THE AUTHORITY would have allowed the outing of all vampires if they had not wanted it themselves or atleast allowed it and don’t you think they would have put one of their own or atleast someone they trusted in charge of that task (a trusted buereaucrat as Eric might say)?
Since the Authority is in charge of appointing magisters and vampire royalty, don’t you think that they will be very interested once Eric and Russell make the magister “go missing.” They will have lost someone directly working for them and they will be interested in the possible role of a sheriff they can fire and the royalty (Russell) that they appointed.
So that is why Nan Flanigan will be the one asking questions about the magister’s disappearance (hinted strongly in spoilers)…because she is The Authority or is directly working for The Authority!
How does this tie back into the magister other than the fact that the authority appointed him? Doesn’t his agenda of vampire superiority or religious dogma seem to contrast with the message of the AVL?
I propose that the front of the AVL is merely an underhanded way for vampires to gain legal rights so that they can gradually overtake human positions of authority. They really feel very sanctimonious about the superiority of vampires (over humans and other supes) and this whole AVL scheme is their master plan to eventually achieve that superiority over humans without starting all out war and bloodshed that would naturally result from a direct confrontation.
Russell is simply trying to eventually overthrow humanity completely and much more quickly than the strategy of the AVL would allow (in part because he thinks he needs to save “nature” and humans are “also hinted at in the promos and the conversation he had with Eric in 3×06 in the limo). He also thinks it would be wiser to pay lip service to other supes and use them in the WAR against humans. He also doesn’t like “vampire fundamentalists (3×06) which the Authority obviously is if they hired Magnus to be The Magister.
“If all the supernaturals would stop squabbling amoung themselves and unite, we could conquer humans in a MATTER OF DAYS.” and “Throughout history I have aligned myself with or destroyed those humans in power hoping to make a dent in mankind’s race to oblivion. What other creature actively destroys it’s own habitat?”
So it is obvious to me that Russell is not happy with the gradual strategy of the AVL and/or the authority or their fundamentalism. He has created this cult around himself and nature and wants to use it to become the authority himself in order to achieve his “dream” as he told Eric (3×06). He belives the magister (and therefore the authority) only have their power because it “is given to them (3×05)” and they can overthrow them all when they unite.
His attempts will backfire and create the opening for the FOTS to gain some ground again with humans and get in the way of Nan’s crucial vampire rights amendment.
Sookie’s home represents her private life. When Sookie invited Eric into her home and did not rescind the invitation immediately after the werewolf incident, she essentially invited Eric in her private life. Every time someone human or vampire comes into Sookie’s home it either represents that she is trusting and caring for someone or it is an invasion of her private life (even and especially during Gran’s funeral); obviously with Eric it was not the latter. Therefore, things between Eric and Sookie will move totally beyond the buisness aspect and almost totally into the personal aspect by season’s end. That is the general theme for Eric/Sookie this season.
Now for the endless lists, bear with me:
* It seems obvious that Russell is the target of Eric’s revenge plot and it will be interesting to see how Eric is later torn between vengeance and his sense of duty to the king that has helped him.
* It also seems obvious at this point that Eric will align himself with Russell in order to get rid of his problems with QSA and the magister. Ironically, Eric will become Russell’s right hand man even though Talbot has cheated with him and/or Eric has killed him (for whatever reason), Eric will probably do things to help Sookie that Russell will not approve of, and Russell is the target of Eric’s revenge. It also seems obvious Talbot will die, possibly by Eric’s hand or an attack by the FOTS or someone else.
* Eric will not only be there to help Sookie during the night time, he has sent Alcide to help during the day time. Eric will be crucial to Sookie’s safety throughout the entire season, especially when things go sour with Bill, even after his rescue (even if Bill does give Sookie warnings). I predict Eric will save Sookie again (at least one more time) and Sookie will return the favor by rescuing him in the daytime and will even give him blood to heal (if the first kiss does not come during the infamous “intense scene” in episode 6 or otherwise, it will come as Sookie thinks Eric might die (the truth death). Even if they do kiss earlier or even almost make love earlier, I think there will definitely be a kiss during this scene.
* Why will a day time rescue be needed and how will Russell come into play? Unfortunately, the Fellowship of the Sun will come into play again. Steve Newlin will ride a new-found wave of vampire hate ( caused either by Russell’s own quest for vengeance concerning Talbot’s death and/or the dead, drained, headless trucker Jessica killed and/or something else unable to predict at this point and/or a combination of these) and choose Eric’s buisness in order to exact his own vengeance for the embarrassment Eric caused him last season at his own buisness (the fellowship). Since Russell will be spending time at Fangtasia (as some spoilers reveal) he will require his own rescue as well. However, the rescue might be haywire as Eric lets his personal feelings of vengeance take over and decides to try to let Russell die (even if it might be in his best interest to keep Russell in power).
* Eric will be able to use Hadley as bait because it turns out the Queen actually loves Hadley and Eric is not an idiot and will figure this out. Bill will lose the king’s favor after he is not especially forthcoming once confronted with the evidence. Lorena will be eager to torture him for the information Russell wants after he so easily goes back to Sookie and/or she finds out he was trying to have her meet her true death in exchange for helping Russell.s out. I believe the queen was actually speaking from experience (whether she knew it or not) when she told everyone not to taste Sookie because they might fall in love (maybe that is what she chooses to blame her own love on whether it is true or not). Eric will find out Bill’s purpose after he interrogates the queen and forces her to either marry Russell or give him Louisiana. This may or may not be when Sookie finds out (then or shortly after).
* Eric already hates Nan after the way she treated Godric in his final moments. Nan and the AVL will become one of Eric’s most bitter enemies as the season progresses. This will be especially true after Eric aligns himself with Russell (who hates the extremes views of the magister and the AVL). The problem of the magister will never totally go away for Eric (even if the magister meets his true death). Nan will do anything to pass the Vampire rights amendment and she sees people like Russell and his allies as enemies that stand in the way of that (even if they are fellow vampires).
* QSA is a witch and the palace has become sort of the head quarters for her coven. She keeps her human slaves content and willing through magic. She probably also is trying to achieve walking in the sun through magic. She probably also achieved her power through magic and her alliance with witches in much the same way that Russell achieved his power through his alliance with werewolves. If anything happens to QSA, other witches will seek vengeance for her death or her being over thrown or harmed or punished (maybe people like Yvetta and/or Holly). Maybe Amnesia Eric will be caused from a spell cast in vengeance by QSA herself or one of those potential witches or someone else associated with QSA’s coven.
* Sookie will agree to work for Russell and/or QSA in exchange for Bill’s release but will later regret that decision.
* Bill will attack Sookie at some point, possibly during the rescue AND/OR will be forced to reveal the real reason he was in Bon Temps. Sookie will promptly break up with him though it will be a painful and reluctant decision and it will shake her trust in men/vampires. Eric will do his best to comfort her while Alicide will try to convince her vampires in general are bad news and so will everyone else.
* The desire to walk in the sun may become a theme in the latter half of the season, leading up to Eric and Russell (possibly Pam) meeting the sun and the fellowship’s assertion that the sun is the ultimate weapon when it comes to fighting the vampires.
* Though Eric will be portrayed a lot more sympathetic than last season, his darkness will not only come from his desire to seek vengeance, but also what he does in an attempt to prove himself to Russell (whatever that may be).
* Though Bill neglected her, Jessica will probably end up being one of Bill’s only allies after his terrible downfall. Jessica will even try to get Sookie to forgive Bill probably.
Random Lists of Predictions:
* **********If you have read any spoilers, Holly (the new merlotte’s waitress) is obviously a witch/wiccan.********************
* Jessica will consider turning Hoyt or marrying him.
* Though he will initially try to help Tommy, I think Sam will ironically become Tommy’s partner in crime rather than helping him in the right way.
* Tara will be attracted to Sam once again once she sees his darkness, they may become involved once again ( even if Franklin is still possibly alive and stalks her , though I have a feeling he will be offed along with Talbot).
* Arlene and/or Tara might become witches under Holly’s influence. I think Arlene might ironically develop the same depth of fascination with Wiccans/witches that she did with the FOTS in the books.
*Jesus is a V addict and probably a supernatural too. He may have looked Lafayette back up for ulterior motives of his own (such as the V or something else).
* Crystal will distract Jason from everything, including his new-found bribed police job and Jason will suffer endless “consequences.”
* Holly might possibly tie into QSA, though that is not necessarily the case.
* Jessica might suffer consequences in the future for the trucker’s death despite her new-found happiness with Hoyt and/or Tommy.
* The AVL will suffer scrutiny from the government.